Wednesday, February 27, 2013

training update & race day must haves







Hi everyone!!

My training has been going very well. I am up to 9 miles as of this past Saturday and am looking forward to crushing another 11 this Saturday.
One thing I recommend to those training, especially for their first half is to join a running group or meet up with a buddy at least once a week for longer runs. I know a lot of people like to hack it alone, it helps clear their mind and such, but for me I need someone there pushing me, encouraging me and just someone to chat with here and their. It helps the time go by a lot faster too.

Another thing I suggest is to educate yourself on proper nutrition and hydration. Especially once you get past the 6 mile mark or an hour of running. Your body needs to be refueled and hydrated to prevent fatigue, dizziness, dehydration etc. I like to make sure I have a lite, yet filling breakfast the morning of a long run or race. I always have the same thing. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana slices with a big glass of water. I also make sure to have water and gels on me to take while out on the course. I usually sip water every five to ten minutes and take Cliff Shot Gel 30-45 minutes into my run and then Sport Beans as needed.

This doesn't work for everyone. I know plenty of people that don't carry Gels, Chomps, or Gu's out with them or even water and they do great with out it. I, however do not. Training is a great time to test different things out and find out what works best for YOU. 

I am just a few weeks away from race day. Check out some of my favorite race day gear below.

XO 
Sonia

My race day must haves
 race day must haves

No comments:

Post a Comment